Shock can happen after experiencing something stressful such as an horrific event, heavy blood loss or other reason to cause a lack of blood flow to vital organs.
Signs and symptoms:
- Rapid, shallow breathing
- Cold, clammy skin
- Rapid, weak pulse
- Dizziness or fainting
- Chest pain
- Treat the injury or condition that has caused shock eg blood loss.
- Sit the person down and eventually lay the person down
- Raise their legs and support in a position such as a chair
- Call 999 / 112
- Reassure them and loosen any tight clothing
- Keep the person calm and warm